Thursday, 27 June 2013

A Religion & the Undead Spectacle

Good evening,

It recently occurred to me how fascinated I really am about religion. When I talk about it I lose myself in its wonders and various pathways. To me they're like a selection of different forests, and with-in those a variety of pathways and wildlife which you use to make your own decisions. I remind myself of Pi in the way I'm dedicated to my own religion, yet would love to convert to a different spiritual path every week.

I study A-Level Religion and one of my teachers handed me a book last week by the one and only C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis is one of my favourite authors and I worship and respect him in all aspects. I mean, firstly the Chronicles of Narnia practically got me into reading, and he also broadened my mind with understanding of Christianity.


The book in question is Mere Christianity and it's a collection of his writings which deal with not only a Christian lifestyle, just also theories of a Law of Nature (different to Aquinas' Natural Law), and the theology of God.

The book excited me in how friendly C.S. Lewis' tone came across. I didn't feel like I was being backed into a corner by a preacher, but rather as though he was talking directly to me as an individual, and his primary intention was education. He even had the decency to outline what he'd cover in each chapter in case any readers wanted to skip some parts if it didn't apply to them.

After studying Sexual Ethics, Marriage, and Ethical theories at A-Level, the first two parts of the book dragged me in almost like piece of exciting fiction, it was an absolute wonder to read. It was strange because what put me off the theological part of the essays was the fact he tried to explain religion in terms of science. I criticise Freud for trying to define religion in terms outside of religion, and I almost found the same thing was happening. However, I have to respect his courage in trying to educate the everyday man in a way which makes most people over-skeptical. As Anthony Burgess put it on the back cover, "it is the perfect book to read as a man who is meaning to convert but finds intellect getting in the way."


The second book I want to talk about is the new installment in the Zom-B series by Darren Shan, Zom-B Angels. Darren Shan is one of my favourite authors and having met him twice and read every single one his books, I was overly excited to begin the new zombie series. If you haven't yet read any of Shan's work, please try The Demonata or Cirque Du Freak for younger readers, or Lady of the Shades and The City Trilogy for older readers.

I don't want to give anything away because he's one of these author's who has you on the edge of your seat after every page, but Darren has cleverly managed to integrate religion and the undead in a way I never thought possible. I admit I was skeptical at first, but by the time I'd finished the book his writing had won me over and I was completely awestruck. The addition of the religious element has made the scary parts even scarier, and it caters to me as an individual because of my love for religion.

I've started reading Ingo for my book club which is about mermaids, but maybe next time I'd like to write a bit about some older and esteemed literature. And perhaps I'll also have a structure next time.

Write soon,
Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment