Wednesday, 24 July 2013

City of Wuthering Heights

Good morning!

I'm going to be talking about a classic piece of Literature today, namely Wuthering Heights. I'm currently studying it for my English A-Level and I'm really confused as to how I feel about it. On one hand, the story is complicated enough to make me want to give Emily Bronte a medal (and also keep me up past twelve o'clock reading it), but on the other hand, it's characters nip at me until I want to throttle them all but then feel upset because it's not Heathcliff's fault he's really arrogant.


Wuthering Heights is the story about Catherine Earnshaw and her soul-mate, Heathcliff. Heathcliff was adopted into her family at a young age, but because of his gypsy upbringing he was tortured and teased by Catherine's older brother, Hindley. The whole novel centres around these character's struggle to get to each other, as well as the grief and aftermath caused by what they do.

There are various different forms in this novel, causing the structure to be somewhat scattered. I'm inclined to say that if you aren't an experienced reader then you'll probably find the novel very difficult to read. Mr Lockwood is the prime narrator, but then goes on to tell us the story of Ellen Dean, who also goes on to read a passage from Isabella Linton's letters, as well as including brief diary entries. Since the transitions from these forms can happen rather smoothly, it can be hard to distinguish where one ends and the other starts, thus making this novel hard to study.

However, I do have praise for the way Bronte writes her characters. Heathcliff has been the inspiration for thousands of other leading males in fiction and the way his story is told is compelling, yet it leaves us still asking questions. Where did he disappear to when he ran off? What initially sparked off his determination? Heathcliff is one of the most complex characters I've ever studied, and being a byronic-hero as well as a violent but compassionately arrogant man  really confuses me.

Since I'm studying Love Through The Ages now, I've just started reading Enduring Love by Iwan McEwan and I am really excited to get through this. I'm on the second chapter and I'm thrilled already. I've seen half of the movie, but I don't believe it could take anything away from such a brilliant book. I'll also be reading Hobson's Choice, Pride & Prejudice, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Sense & Sensibility.



In other news, I've just finished the second book in The Mortal Instruments series, called City of Ashes. My friends are obsessed with this series and have read them all twice, including the prequel series. I said I'd give it ago and I'm not feeling the hype. I did my research and found out the author, Cassandra Clare had been accused of plagiarism. I didn't want to judge the series based on the author however, but getting past the first two books still hasn't made me excited about it. The characters are wooden, frankly I don't care what happens to them. The main girl, Clary, is a Mary-Sue, and her love interest is as arrogant as Heathcliff. In addition, I've been spotting tons and tons of Harry Potter parallels in relation to characters, and there also seems to be a lot of Buffy and Star Wars type stuff going on in there.
I'm going to keep at it, but I'm not really liking it so far. The first book is being made into a movie called City of Bones, so maybe after watching it on the big screen it'll change my mind.

Another film which is coming out shortly is called Seventh Son. It's based on a book called The Spook's Apprentice and I'm literally about to order the book right now so that I can read it before I watch the film. The trailer looks brilliant, PLEASE check out the trailer. Plus, it has Ben Barnes in it!

So, I should really get down to reading. I finished Stormbreaker a few weeks back, and I LOVED it. I also read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner which is a Twilight Saga novella. I really enjoyed that one too, it reminded me that I had to reread the Twilight saga.

 I'll update next about Enduring Love.

Thanks for reading!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment